New tips to improve instructors
Improving your instructors could be an excellent investment, especially for people teaching your most profitable courses.
Instructor improvement was a top topic of discussion at this year’s LERN Advanced Programming Institute in New Orleans last month.
Here are the participants’ top rated new tips for improving teaching:
1. Stress generational learning styles with instructors
2. Update your teacher handbook
3. Use your 100 best customers to audit classes for free in exchange for their evaluations of the teacher.
4. Build relationships with teachers, offering them ways to meet each other and network
5. Send course evaluations out to teachers more quickly and consistently.
P.S. Use teachers to promote their classes
Participants also said teachers are one of the best promotion tools in lifelong learning. Teachers can fill a class by promoting it, they noted. Improvements in registrations can go up by 10 percent to 90 percent, they estimate. Encouraging your teachers to promote their class is one of the best no-cost marketing strategies you can employ.
This year’s LERN Advanced Programming Institute had the most participants ever, and premiered the new Certified Professional Programmer (C2P) designation. LERN is encouraging every lifelong learning program to have at least one staff member trained in programming. Next year’s Advanced Programming Institute will be in Savannah April 12-16, 2015.